Saturday 10 January 2015

Flowery Crochet Blanket

A was having a browse through Etsy when I came across a very cute shop called  Dadas Place, she had a pattern for a cushion cover made from 16  crochet granny squares and I loved the look.....but I didn't want a cushion. Not one to shy away from a challenge, a quick calculation revealed that I could make a good sized lap rug with a mere 154 squares....easy I thought! So here it is.....

With only 35 squares to go I am well on my way and still enjoying it. I loved the main colours of orange and pink but wanted a random scatter of blue squares throughout to bring it all together.....(random for me means extremely careful planning of the 'random' placement because I am a little compulsive in balance and evenness.)


This is the spreadsheet I used to ensure that my placement of blue squares looked random even though they very much were not.

I am joining them with a simple chain that is a little fiddly but it is the look I am after so went with it. I have been joining it together as I go because 1. It keeps me motivated to see it growing before my eyes, and 2. It would be a fairly mind numbing task to leave all of the joining to last! I need to complete all of the horizontal lines before I can start the vertical joins but I'm pleased with the result so far.

I have used a cotton blend yarn which is gorgeous and soft and has a nice weight to it, it will be lovely and warm to snuggle under in winter (it is currently the middle of summer here in Australia.)

I still need to decide on a border/edging for the blanket but will leave that until all of the squares are together in the hope that inspiration will strike, saving me from hours of trial and error!

Please have a look in my Etsy shop My Gorgeous Home for ideas and inspiration.

Happy crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment